Monday, May 13, 2013

In the beginning...

Every journey has to start somewhere. This is my story.

I'm a 25 year old and I'm struggling with being overweight. Not only am I worried about my health, it's also embarrassing.  I hate trying on cute dresses only to realize they accentuate my problem areas. As I'm getting older, I know it will only be harder to lose the weight. I decided to finally lose the weight and keep it off. In order for me to lose the weight, I have to change my lifestyle. In order to change my lifestyle, I have to look back to where my weight troubles began.

Throughout my childhood and into my teenage years, I was a healthy kid at a healthy weight. I was very active. Junk food was at a minimum. I ate all my fruits and veggies. I never would have thought I would be where I am right now. Then, college started. Ah, college. The first time you're on your own (not really, I still lived at home). I was responsible for getting lunch on the go. McDonald's and Taco Bueno quickly became my choice places to go. I was no longer in marching band so my activity level dropped drastically. The pounds slowly crept up. Within 3 years of graduating high school, I went from 120 to 150. When moved away to school, partying took its toll and the weight kept piling on. I was able to lose a bit before my wedding, but that's when I really started gaining. I gained another 40 pounds in 2 years. 2 years! That's a huge weight gain. I started dealing more with depression and anxiety. My childhood asthma started to become an issue again. I got sick constantly and my joints were starting to hurt. I knew I needed to make a change.

The big turning point in my life came about when my aunt was diagnosed with cancer. It was a wake up call to me. I needed to make a change in my lifestyle if I wanted to live a healthy life. I set a weight loss goal of 50 pounds: go from 190 to 140. Over the next few months, I took steps to begin reaching my goal. I joined a fitness boot camp, began a food diary to track my food consumption, and started to cut out the fast foods and junk I was eating. My next step in the journey is a 10 day juice cleanse, which will be documented in this blog. 

This will not be an easy task. It will be challenging. No matter what road bumps I might come across, I know my health is important. Every step will lead me to my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment