Thursday, May 23, 2013

Health: more than just exercise and diet

Over the past year, I've realized health is more than watching what I eat and exercising. It's also about taking care of my mental health. I've had issues with depression and anxiety for a few years now. I used to have uncontrollable crying spells followed by extreme elation. I would have panic attacks almost daily. I remember vividly sitting on my kitchen counter, holding my knees to my chest, and wanting to scream. I would panic at the thought of meeting new people, not a good thing when we were planning on moving to a new city. I wanted to sleep all day long. I would scream at my husband over every little thing without realizing it. It took a toll on my physical health as well as my relationship with my husband. I thought there was no hope for me.

Back in October 2012, I had a breakdown, or as I like to jokingly call it, my "crazies". It was so bad that I finally decided I needed to push my pride aside and get medical help. My mother read up on something called PMDD, or premenstrual dysphoric disorder. We realized my depression spells and rages would always be the week before my period, and then would calm down. PMDD is like extreme PMS. It's diagnosed when it becomes severe enough to disrupt your everyday life. Clearly, my life had been disrupted. I brought up my symptoms to the doctor and she agreed it sounded like PMDD. I was prescribed Prozac for my depression and birth control to help regulate my imbalanced hormones. 

It's now been 6 months since I went to the doctor. The difference in how I feel is night and day. I don't want to hide in my room all day. I don't feel like crying all the time. I haven't had any of my rages. My husband has said he has noticed a huge difference as well. Also, the physical PMS symptoms are decreased. 

I should have sought help back years ago. I should have been more willing to discuss what I was feeling. I felt as if it was just a natural thing to have such big mood swings, because I was used to it. I thought if I mentioned something might be wrong that it would be looked at as weakness (stupid pride!). It took a very dark time in my life to make me realize I needed to get help. I needed to get help for me, for my husband and our marriage, for my family, and for our future children. I got help for me and for all those out there who were in my shoes: scared that no one would understand but desperately seeking answers. 

Don't be scared if you are suffering from depression, anxiety, or other issues. Please find someone you trust and talk to them. Talk to a counselor or a doctor. Your health is worth it. One of the best things I did for my health was to pick up the phone and make the hardest call I've ever made. It was worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment