Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Taco Seasoning Recipe

It's no secret: we love tacos at our house. It's a weekly, if not twice weekly, meal. Even though there's only two of us in the house, we always make 2 pounds of taco meat to eat off of for the whole week. I knew the main ingredients were chili powder and cumin.  All the other ingredients are spices I always have in my pantry.  I thought to myself, "self, why not make your own taco seasoning?" It would have less sodium than the packaged kind, which is good for someone who retains water easily, like myself.  Here it is!

Taco seasoning mix

1/2 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons garlic
1 tablespoon onion
1 tablespoon paprika
3 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt

Mix all the ingredients in a sealable container. For every pound of meat (beef, turkey, or chicken), I use 1 and a half tablespoons and 1/2 cup water. 



My husband, king of tacos, has tested and approved this recipe. You can add red pepper if you like more heat. The best thing about this is that every ingredient can be adjusted to taste! Hope you ditch the packets and enjoy this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment