Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Snack time!

One of my favorite things, as well as something that hinders my progress, is snacking. I just like to graze throughout the day, munching a little something in the morning, before I workout, or while watching the ball game at night. Now, small meals aren't bad. In fact, I feel better eating 5 or 6 small meals rather than 3 big meals. It's all about what you eat though. 5 or 6 small meals of Cheez-Its or Thin Mints are no bueno (but they do taste good). I've complied a list of healthy snacks when ya just need to nosh. These are different than just grabbing an apple out of the fruit basket. Being creative with your healthy snacks is fun!



* Frozen grapes: I divide up a bunch of grapes into snack size bags and immediately put them in the freezer. Portion control and a frosty treat!

* Plain Greek yogurt topped with sliced fruit: this is also good for breakfast! Less sugar than the fruit-flavored yogurt. Try adding unsweetened coconut or a small amount of granola for a filling breakfast.

* Dehydrated fruit and nut mix: make your own trail mix! You can control what you have in it. Watch out for portion size though. While fruit is good, it's high in sugar, especially store bought dehydrated fruits.

* Celery sticks and nut butter/hummus: I like to buy the precut celery sticks. They already have all the gross strings off! When it's already prepared, I'm more likely to eat it. Both nut butter and hummus are a good source of protein.

* Any raw veggie and hummus: this is about the only way I eat raw carrots. Broccoli and cauliflower is also good with this Mediterranean dip. 

* Air popped popcorn with lime juice and hot sauce: okay, I might be the only one that likes this. Try it...deeeeelicious!

* Hardboiled eggs: quick pick-me-up in the afternoon. Eggs, not just for breakfast!

I also like the 100 calorie packs of chips and crackers. Sometimes, ya just need a Cheez-It. 

Please add your snack ideas in the comments below! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment